Sunday, September 25, 2011

Celebrate & Appreciate

Day 17 in Irbid

I now appreciate Malaysian food and weather and the utmost important thing, the endless supply of water. I now understand how we have been taking petty things for granted all this while. Lets take water for example. Because this country has no sea or river or whatever possible reservoir of water, so water supply is very limited. It is nothing unusual for us to have lack of le H two O. Well, for me despite anything else, this has been the biggest challenge of all time. I have to get use to not having my regular twice a day baths. I have to understand that its hard to wash my clothes. And its hard to do ablution. Its not easy to flush when you pee or poo. But I am not complaining. I thank Allah for the beauty of life. See how nice Allah made this land? I am grateful for the dry weather and the heat. I don't sweat that much compared to living in the tropical weather I was used to in Malaysia. So, its okay not to have that much water to bathe.

Whatever it takes, I have to learn how to survive and make both ends meet.

Basic necessities. Ad-Daruriyat. Whether you like it or not, you need those things to live. You don't and you die.

Not everyone over here are lucky enough to get sponsorship or fundings. Some came using their own savings just for the sake of knowledge and I truly admire them. So when we attended a talk on Zakat and Sadaqah today, I felt blessed that I am a scholar. That I don't have to worry for the tuition fees. All I have to do is use my allowances wisely. They have a unit over here, managed by the seniors from Qisim Iqtisad Islami (Faculty of Islamic Economics) who are in-charge of these things and they really know what they are talking about. They made me realise that our money are not entirely our rights. That there is an easy and systematic channel for us to spend our money along the path of righteous. Yakni, infaq. They made us realise that we are not kids anymore. We have our responsibilities for the society. And a portion of our money can help the ones in needs. Islam does not want its ummah to live in ignorance.

And whenever I get mad at the bathroom tap, I know that I have to remind myself that there are always people out there who experience worse than what I am going through.

3 comments:

mama said...

u have to buy water over there.....and it cost more than what we pay for our water bills in Malaysia..

Hg said...

mamaaaaaaaaa why you read my blog?! LOL. yes have to buy but only the drinking water ma. cannot drink the tap water. no worries.

anom said...

haha, dats cute :P